Monday, September 25, 2006

Mr. Allen, I almost felt sorry for you.

I really did. I was driving home from rehearsal tonight, rehashing all of the events of the day, and I had a tiny twinge of guilt and sorrow for what has become of your campaign, your political life, and the empire you have built up around you and your family for all of these years. I started to wonder how you were feeling as these allegations came out, and I even dwelled upon the thought of how sorry you must have felt for Siddarth after you realized the error of your ways. I felt for you, and I wondered aloud about the fairness of Peggy Fox's question to you in the debate last week. I thought of your mother and her fear of the Nazis and how hard it must have been to harbor those memories and that guilt. I thought of your family, and how your children must be in pain watching you go through this tumultuous time, and I thought of your wife Susan, and how this must be affecting her. I thought about your friends and extended family and your staff and your supporters, and I thought to myself, "Man, things are not going well for Senator Allen. And here I am, actively engaging in the discussion of and viewing of his destruction. Maybe I should back off. This is getting hard to watch." I thought all of those things, and for a brief moment, I was somber and sad.

Then I came to my senses, and I almost threw up over my temporary lapse of sound judgement.

I pushed all of my soppy feelings for you away and out of my mind, and instead focued on your despicable and abysmal job as a public servant in every way, shape, and form. I remembered that you voted and continue to vote to send American children and adults to die, yet you vote against giving them proper armor and supplies. I remembered that you have no problem with stem cell research if people want to invest their own money into the research, but that you are against people like me ever benefitting from it. I remembered that you somehow thought that sending your child to college was similar to young Jimmy Webb's departure to fight your beloved war in Iraq. I remembered that you think that gays should not marry, and that straight couples who choose to "live in sin" should be stripped of the rights and benefits given to those who let a piece of paper define their love and their relationship. I rememberd that according to you, I should (God forbid) lay in a hospital bed alone and frightened because all of my family lives over 8 hours away, and since I am not married, my boyfriend of 6 years would be forced to sit in the hallway of the waiting room instead of being with me. I remembered that you didn't think that Martin Luther King, Jr. was important enough to honor him with a holiday, but that you wanted to celebrate the Confederate flag for a month. I remembered that you didn't feel bad for Siddarth, and that you actually attacked Peggy Fox for no reason. I remembered that you lied, repeatedly. And then I remembered that you lied and lied and lied and lied some more. I rememberd that you don't care about me, and you don't care anbout people like me. I remembered that you aren't fighting for the America that I know and love, and you aren't trying to help me in any way at all. I remembered that I absolutley detest you and people like you, because you are selfish and in this "business" for the wrong reason. I remembered that you are a racist. I rememberd and I remembered and I remembered, Mr. Allen, and I came to a conclusion; you and I will never be on the same page because I care about this country and our Constitution so much that I will work to protect it and cherish it, while you will work to control it and destroy it.

So, I don't feel bad for you, Senator. You have proven that you cannot and should not be trusted with this job. You brought this all on yourself, sir, and you deserve what you get. You deserve to be fired, Mr. Allen, and I will work as hard as I can to make sure that you do, in fact, get fired. I only wish that you could be fired like the rest of America gets fired; left without any benefits of any kind for the rest of their lives.

But, I'll settle for firing you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home