Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Quick Hits from The Commonwealth

I am back at work, and miserable. I have been back to work since Monday, but as of last night, I became acutely aware that I am one of the very few people to suffer from a rare post-wisdom tooth removal surgical complication. Simply, the surgery perforated my sinus cavity, and liquids, air and even tiny bits of food are making their way through the hole in my mouth from surgery and through my sinuses and then leaving through my nose. It was amusing with water, not so much with lentil soup. I don't think I need to go into any more detail than that. Further, because my life is always annoying, it makes sense that my surgeon is on vacation, no one else can see me unless I drive 40 minutes, and I am almost out of pain meds. Oh. JOY.

Senator Jim Webb (D-VA) is speaking at the commencement ceremony here at VCU on May 19, 2007 at 10am. We will be attending, and will be available for rockin' Richmond brunch afterwards. Let me know if you will be in town for the event.

We are still looking for an apartment/house to rent. We are leaning more towards Jackson Ward at this point though. Again, let me know in the comments if you have any leads, and thanks.

This is one of the greatest articles about the ever present and seemingly GROWING racial divide in Richmond, VA that I have ever read. In fact, after reading this article, I am hesitant to move out of the downtown area, and I am inclined to do all I can to find out how this terrible situation can be fixed. Richmond is a city full of history, and the folks that have lived here all of their lives and put their blood, sweat, and tears into this city throughout the years should not be pushed out so a suburban jerk with a couple grand and a tool belt can NOT pay taxes and make a few bucks while putting long time residents on the streets. I intend to study this more closely, and I hope our lawmakers don't continue to ignore this problem. The city of Richmond should not become what NOLA is destined to become because of private and corporate greed in the wake of Katrina.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yuck! Drive the forty minutes.

Sounds like it could cause one nasty sinus infection.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Karen Duncan said...

Jaime, I am so sorry to hear this. I had all my wisdom teeth removed and also a few other teeth. Last year, I spent more of my time in oral surgery than I care to remember. But never did I have complications let alone what you described.

Whackette is right. What you are describing can lead to a very nasty sinus infection.

Drive the 40 minutes. Better yet, get Thadd or somebody to drive in case you need more treatment.

And very best of luck!

8:19 PM  
Blogger Phriendly Jaime said...

Ugh, I know, I know...It's not too terrible, pain wise, it's just very strange. I just ate a sandwich, and I swished afterwards, and..it was gross.

By the way, ladies, I think I am officially the only person in the world to GAIN weight after mouth surgery. I usually eat very healthy; no carbs, no sugar, all salads and grilled meats, etc. Well, I have eaten more pudding and ice cream in the past week than I have eaten in a year.

Dammit. I can't win. ;)

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home