Friday, April 06, 2007

How ironical...

So, I had my last cigarette at 11:00pm the same day the restaurant smoking ban failed. This was not by choice, though I had a feeling it might happen. As a personal preference, I never smoke in the morning and my surgery was scheduled for 10:45 yesterday so obviously I didn't smoke beforehand. Patients are HIGHLY ADVISED to abstain from smoking cigarettes until the gaping open wounds in the back of your mouth start to heal (over a week) or you can get dry sockets...or pockets, I am not really sure (note, I just took another dose of pain meds, googling and linking is not happening). Whatever the nasty dry things are, they sound horrible and painful, and I am not chancing it. So, anyway, since mental and physical cravings are gone within 24-48 hours after the last cigarette, I guess I have basically quit for almost 2 days.

Huh.

Like I said, kind of ironical. It doesn't change my feeling on the ban at all, however, if this surgery is my gateway to quitting, then that's cool with me. We'll see what happens. As you can see from the chart below, some cool stuff has already happened to my body, which makes me feel a little better about having chunky cheeks and bruises and a boring cadre of food to eat.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

After three days your sense of smell and taste return. So maybe your food will taste better tomorrow and you won't find it so boring.

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the glasses. They make you look like the Wonkette caricature.

Very cute.

For swelling, bags of frozen peas work well. They mold nicely around the body. (Buy a couple of cheap bags and alternate -- don't let them thaw out.)

If you go 3 months without smoking, my wonkette and I will send you something nice.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Catzmaw said...

The important thing is to resist the urge to run to the ciggies the first time you have a crisis. My sister stopped smoking for almost 20 years, and then when she went through a bad patch she took it up again. Now, 6 years later, she's as addicted as she ever was before. Not good.

6:18 PM  
Blogger john m said...

I've got 5 years clean of the damns things, after smoking for 15 years. Quitting is one of the 3 or 4 best things that I've ever done. Good luck!

7:26 PM  
Blogger Phriendly Jaime said...

Oh, I know. I have quit like, 8 times. I really don't smoke much, to be honest, and I can easily go days without them. But, it needs to stop.

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Update: My wife is offering a pair of custom made knitted socks (your multiple color choice, etc.) if you reach the 90 day mark.

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home