Tuesday, January 30, 2007

My recent silence? The SWACtion paid me off!

As some of you may have noticed, I have been a bit quiet as of late. I am quite sure that some of you are beyond thrilled with that, and way fewer of you are not. You can let me know in the comments if you like.

So why was I so quiet over the weekend (and more)?
The SWACtion paid me to shut up!!!
Nah, they didn't really, but they did do something totally cool, and I want to publicly thank them for it. And what better place than here, right?

Last week, I reported on some true Republican hilarity that occurred in the blogosphere directly after Bill Bolling's bloggers conference. If you missed it, the short version is that SWAC girl, Spank that Donkey!, and John Maxfield over at The Journal of the Common Man paid a visit to Richmond and my favorite watering/blogging hole. They succeeded in taking hysterical pictures of themselves in the exact same poses as Thaddaeus Toad and I (you can see the originals over on the right), and they claimed that they left us a gift. While I wasn't sure what to expect, I was totally psyched, because like most people, I love gifts. After being booted out of the Richmond City Democratic Committee meeting on Thursday night because of our lack of membership (TOTALLY our fault, and in retrospect, I completely understand), Thadd and I headed over to the Capital Ale House with some other Democratic buddies to await the news from those who stayed for the remarks and the vote. I was more than excited to check out my gift, if not a wee bit wary of what I might find.

As soon as we arrived, the manager came over to greet us. I asked her some questions, and we all laughed as she described the incident from earlier that week. She told us that some very nice people came in, asked her if she knew us after showing her a picture from here, and of course, she did. They then made some kind of a deal with her, and left me an envelope for the next time I came in. She presented it to me and went back to work.

I was definitely no longer wary - I figured there was no way they would anthrax me publicly, and dog poop doesn't fit in an envelope. So I opened it...
Inside, was a $20 bill, with a note on the envelope to have a drink on them. They all signed the envelope, complete with a little paw print and a "woof woof".
Basically, I was overjoyed. I don't care what side of the aisle you sit on, but if you manage to a. make me laugh hysterically, and b. buy me expensive beer, you are definitely on my list of pretty cool people.

So the truce is official. We may still argue here in the blogosphere, but to all members of the SWACtion - you guys are alright in my book. I hope you let me know the next time you will be in Richmond. We may have a political catfight, but at least I know we can do it over a good brewski.

Cheers!

9 Comments:

Blogger Carl Kilo said...

Big smile here.

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sigh* Don't you see? That's just what they want you to think. That they're nice folks with a great sense of humor, just like you and me.

Soon you'll be saying that the media was kind of hard on George Allen and that maybe a flat tax is the answer to all our problems. Next thing you know, you're pledging allegiance to Lord Xenu and you got a "W stands for Women" bumpersticker on your car.

1:30 AM  
Blogger Lynn R. Mitchell said...

Glad you enjoyed the beer! All thanks go to Spank That Donkey for plotting and planning ... he's our mischievous one ... and he loves a good beer.

And, Chris Guy, mine is a "W. Still the President" bumper sticker. :)

Bottom line: We're Americans before we're Democrats or Republicans.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Phriendly Jaime said...

Chris-you ARE kidding right? This was all in good fun; it certainly won't make me change my mind on policy and...I guess Scientology.

And it would take a lot more than $20 to buy me off the way you are describing.

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry. I thought the Scientology angle would sufficiently convince you that I'm not at all serious.

As for the "W. Still the President" sticker. Thank you for reminding people who drive behind you, who's in charge.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/polls/archive/?poll_id=15

10:42 AM  
Blogger Phriendly Jaime said...

Gotcha. I am slow. :)

12:10 PM  
Blogger cafe de emporia said...

Hope you both enjoyed that! I must admit we went to great pains to keep the Dog from slobbering all over the envelope...it was a hard thing to do.

Maybe you should post a picture of the envelope, if you still have it.

Cheers!

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jaime,
Glad to see that you'all buried the hatchet.

Even Tip O'Neill and Ronald Reagan were drinking buddies after 5pm.

Is it 5pm yet? All the best,
Rowhey

1:03 PM  
Blogger Spank That Donkey said...

What is that saying, Practice Random Acts of Kindness, and senseless Beauty?

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home