Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Jim Webb? Cookies? BEER? Awesome.

Senator Jim Webb (D-VA) is a class act. Unfortunately, after almost 2 weeks off from work, I couldn't bring myself to continue my vacation, and I was unable to attend any inauguration events. From what I hear though, people had an awesome time, and Senator Webb was as gracious as ever. Lowell has some info from the party over at RK, and Arianna Huffington has more:
Just a quick report from Jim Webb's swearing-in party tonight at the Clarendon Ballroom. Hopefully, we'll have some good photos later. The place was packed (it holds hundreds), with a line of people wanting to get in stretching down the street. Wow. The Locust Mountain Boys Bluegrass Band provided fine music as always. They also brought back memories; the last time I saw them was at the Shad Planking, which now feels like eons ago! :) There was lots of free beer, which is a Jim Webb signature ("There WILL be beer!") by this point. There were also a lot of great people, including current and future candidates like Chap Petersen, Janet Oleszek, and Bruce Roemmelt. Blogger sightings included Kenton Ngo and Ben Tribbett, plus FORMER blogger and new Webb staffer Conaway Haskins. I saw a ton of Webb for Senate staffers and volunteers, and it was great catching up. All in all, a fine event, even before the speeches.
Pretty cool; sounds fun, and I do love free beer more than most.
There are well over a hundred parties, gatherings, celebrations, dinners, fundraisers, and thank-you-meet-and-greets planned for the next three days, ranging from the lavish (a $1,000 per person DCCC fundraiser featuring musical performances by Jimmy Buffett, Carole King, and Wyclef Jean) to the low-key (a one-hour open house in Sen. Jim Webb's new office featuring "cookies, coffee & company").
Arianna will have more later, and Lowell has promised pics.

4 Comments:

Blogger teacherken said...

I talked with Arianna (and also with Joe Klein, Congressman Bobby Scott, Conaway Haskins, Mudcat Saudners, and lots of other people). Arianna took my email so she can contact me about educational issues. We'll see if she does.

And I am supposed to talk with Scott's education person (Scott is on relevant House committee) about NCLB. Interesting event, n'est-ce pas?

10:57 PM  
Blogger Phriendly Jaime said...

Absolutely, sounds great! I am glad you got to attend, and I hope you are doing well, Ken.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Catzmaw said...

Mmmm, beer ... cchrrrrrrh.

Yep, great party. And as Webb said when saying how happy he was to see so many people attending: "It's all about the beer". The crowd cracked up over that one. But I didn't get any cookies. The folks around the food tables were too scarily focused on scarfing down everything in sight and I was afraid of losing a hand.

Donald McEachin was there. I told him how impressed I was with the support he gave Webb. He replied that he was just there to block for him -- he's a biiig fella. Nice guy.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Phriendly Jaime said...

Awesome, sounds great. I would love to see the baby up close, before she gets too big. :)

Hahahaha, Don IS statuesqe, I agree. We actually talked about that with him the last time we spoke; we were talking about sports (I am pleased to say he enjoys a good Ohio State game) and he asked Thadd if he played basketball, which was hysterical bc Thadd and I are a lot shorter than he is. He's just a really cool, laid back, NICE guy. He also came to the campaign office dressed down one day, and you gotta love to see a politician in sweats and Tims. :)

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home